12.12.10

Let me in VS Låt den rätte komma in

Last Friday I went to the cinema to watch Let me in, the American remake of the Swedish film directed by Tomas Alfredson in 2008, and based on the novel by Swedish writer John Ajvide Lindqvist, Låt den rätte komma in (Let the right one in). I was thinking to write about the two films, questioning myself about the need to remake a 2 year old film, on the differences between European and American cinema and about  the strengths and weaknesses of each movie but then I thought that even being interesting it was a kind of analysis that didn't really matched my blog's purpose. 

I would like to talk, instead, about the posters that have been used to promote both films and to lure the audiences to go and watch them.

This is the original poster of the Swedish version from 2008,  a composition of images creating a collage feel. A man hanging upside down from a tree, a shadow that seems to be pushing from inside the poster, the little illuminated window and the kid inside, all the elements work together giving a feel of horror and darkness but as well purity and hope. The title, in sans serif, white, centered type sitting on the middle of the poster. I think it's definitely appealing, it sells the movie mystery and darkness. Simplicity on the layout that let you concentrate on trying to decode the image.

The original poster of Let me in, the American remake from 2010. Classic film poster layout, an striking image of an extremely pale young girl in a fetus position in contrast with the red blood background, lots of mystery and darkness here as well. But the typographic treatment it's completely different. A light serif typeface has been used and, by choosing red, the title becomes more difficult to read. They have felt the need to add some copy at the top of the poster that, in my opinion, seems unnecessary however I like how the type emerges from the background.

I think both posters are successful but I'm probably more keen on the Swedish version. More interesting, communicating but not telling you as much as the Let me in poster.

I post here the international posters for both films, can we find a pattern?

Ole!





 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment